Monday, February 8, 2016

Interview with Author Kathryn Elizabeth Jones


Kathryn loves the idea of finding all of the information for marketing in just one book. When she began marketing in 2002, papers were scattered everywhere - it was hard for her to find the marketing information she needed. Today, at her husband's request, she puts out a newly updated marketing book for herself and for other authors screaming for a little order in their lives. She loves reading, taking walks and spending time at the beach - a hard to reach venture in Utah where mountains are the rule.

Welcome back to my blog, Kathryn. This is an updated book for authors. Please tell us about your book.

Marketing Your Book on a Budget is a hands-on resource for authors needing to get a handle on reviews, blog interviews, free advertising, book trailers, and more. I update the book in January and weed out and add new great places to market for the new year. 

What is the best advice you can give an author?

Stick to it. You won't know everything in the beginning. Don't expect to, but keep an open mind and learn through trial and error what works and what doesn't. Marketing is the hard thing that comes after writing a book, but it doesn't have to be overwhelming or cost you loads of money to do right.

Did you use your own experiences for this book or add some from other authors?

Because this book is my experience only, everything has been tried out by me. If an avenue of marketing hasn't worked for me, I don't include it in the book.

Where can my readers find you online?

Authors can find me at: http://www.ariverofstones.com or at my place of business: http://www.ideacreationspress.com. Right now we have our first ever novel writing contest going! There is no entry fee and two winners will get free editing and their book published with Idea Creations Press!

Thank you so much, Kathryn, for this wonderful interview. I hope many authors will take advantage of this book and learn from it.

12 comments:

Gail Pallotta said...

Thanks Linda and Kathryn, and thanks to Kathryn for writing about marketing. It seems it becomes a bigger part of writing every day. It's so valuable to update the book too because it seems marketing is forever changing. Congratulations on being able to nail it down.

Regency Romance Author Donna Hatch said...

Marketing is my least favorite part about writing so it's always nice to find new ways to help market my books. Thank you for including this.

Linda said...

Thanks for the post and links to the website. I agree with Donna Hatch--marketing is my least favorite part about writing. I'm looking forward to incorporating some of Kathryn's tips.

Bruce Judisch said...

Thanks, Kathryn. This looks great. Appreciate you compiling it, as marketing is the weakest part of my writing journey.

Larry Hammersley said...

This is a very timely and timeless subject. I think many of writings could reap many sales if we knew how to get our prose in front of the right people. Kathryn, you have covered an important subject. Thanks, Linda, you always have such interesting people on your site and we can all benefit from that.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the informative interview and for writing this much-needed book, Kathryn. Yeah, I don't like the marketing aspect of the writing business, either.

Deb Piccurelli
DebPiccurelli[at]Verizon[dot]net

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

Sounds like a fabulous book. Having worked in online book promotion, I'm sure this is a resource that will help many. Wishing you the best.

Laurean Brooks said...

Kathryn, Thank you for posting this. Nothing like promotion pitfalls to teach a person what not to do.

I wish there was a not-so-time-consuming way to market, so I could free more time for writing. I'm tired of spending hours posting promos to different site and getting meager results. "Sigh."

I'd love to read this book, see what worked for you.

landtbeth at yahooo dot com.

Kathryn Elizabeth Jones said...

Thank you everyone for your comments. So you know, marketing can actually be 'fun'. No kidding. I think it's important to do what works for you and drop those things that don't. I am always willing to try something out at least once, and if the idea doesn't work I move on to something else.

Best of fun in marketing your books!

Michele Ashman Bell said...

To have Kathryn Elizabeth Jones say marketing can be fun tells me I need this book because I am not finding the fun in doing my own marketing. I definitely need to read what Kathryn has to say and start enjoying this part of the process. To paraphrase Princess Leia, "Help me Kathryn Elizabeth Jones, you're my only hope!"

Kathryn Elizabeth Jones said...

Thank you, Michele. Yes, marketing can be fun, and can be a blast! Actually, I love Star Wars, so a special thanks for the creative quote.

Kathryn Elizabeth Jones said...

Michele Ashman Bell, you're the winner of my book!