Monday, April 6, 2020

Faith in God During Covid – 19 Pandemic


I walked into the Time Machine at the Family Search Center so I could learn all about the things that were invented during my grandparents’ day. It was interesting to find out what they had seen during their lifetime, such as the invention of the light bulb, telephone, automobile and airplane. The Time Machine said that my grandfather was 40 years old in 1918, during the time of the Spanish flu pandemic that swept the world. Church meetings were cancelled and schools were closed down to stop the spreading of the virus. I was shocked to learn there were 50,000,000 deaths throughout the world because of the virus. I remember thinking how difficult that must have been for everyone.

Lo and behold, I am now experiencing what my grandparents had gone through… something I had not expected in my day. At first, when we were told to stay home, I thought: "I can do this. That's simple. If we have to go grocery shopping, we can stay six feet away from people and wear face-masks and wash our hands afterward. This will be over soon if we all obey the rules." Little did I know that would be just a small part of this pandemic.


This is a face-mask that my daughter made for her father. She is making a different design for me. Well, I soon found out that it was affecting people's jobs. Three of my son's in law and my daughter were relieved of their jobs because of the virus. Now what? How were they going to support their families? Would unemployment be enough? With these labor shortages and people being relieved of their jobs, how would this affect our food supply? That was when I finally realized all of this was not as simple as I thought. 

As I learn about the deaths throughout the world, my heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones, and I pray the Lord will comfort those who are grieving. I soon realized I needed to have faith in a caring and loving Father in Heaven who is watching over us. We need His help. The scriptures say: "Be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you."

President Russell M. Nelson, the prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, has asked the members of the church for a world wide fast on Good Friday, April 10th, asking for the Lord's help. 

My dear friends, those who are of all faiths, please join us in this time of prayer and fasting. I know the Lord will hear our prayers and guide us. We just need to have faith and hope. These are the things we should pray for:

1. Plead for relief from this global pandemic
2. Pray that the caregivers will be protected
3. Plead for healing throughout the world
4. Pray that our economy will be strengthened

The scriptures say: " For I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions. " Alma 36:3

Never give up hope. It is important to have faith that the Lord will help us. Please know I care and pray that you are well. 



2 comments:

mnleona said...

I have a white pitcher my mother told me her mother used for water for her children when they were sick during the 1918 crisis. I am glad she told me the story as I have passed the story to my daughter.
I do say prayers and know we will make it.
Leona

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

Thank you, Leona, for sharing something personal about your mother. I really appreciate it.