Monday, May 22, 2017

Interview with Sweet Romance Author Laurie Lewis

Laurie (L.C.) Lewis began her career under contract with Covenant Communications in 2004, moving to Walnut Springs Press in 2010, during which time she published seven books. Her eighth novel, "The Dragons of Alsace Farm," which debuted in July 2016, was inspired by her family's experiences supporting a loved one with dementia, and is a finalist for a RONE Award, a Whitney Award, and was the winner of New Apple Literary's 2016 Medallion for Inspirational fiction. In March of 2017, she released her first romance novella, "Sweet Water" for Gelato Books' "Destination Billionaire's Series."

While Laurie Lewis is best known for her much celebrated historical fiction series, "Free Men and Dreamers," she writes different genres under several pen names--general fiction and woman's fiction as Laurie Lewis, historical fiction and suspense as L.C. Lewis.

Laurie and her McGyver-man husband, Tom, live in Maryland, and are the parents of four amazing cut-ups, and grandmother of 10 cutie-pie smidgeons.

Welcome to my blog, Laurie. I love your book cover. Please tell us about your romance novella: Sweet Water.

Thanks for having me back, Linda! “Sweet Water, has been a grand adventure for me. When Christine Dymock and I met at a writers’ conference two years ago, I had no idea she was the owner of Gelato Books, or that I’d be invited to leave my four-hundred-page comfort zone to take a stab at a romance novella for her Destination Billionaires series.

Redemption and forgiveness are big themes in all my books. We all need a little at one time or another. The romance storyline of SWEET WATER is about hijacked love—when two insecure people miss “their moment,” when their timing gets thrown off by someone or something, and how they respond when they realize what’s happened. I hope readers see Olivia and Hudson grow, and can relate to their emotional roller coaster ride, and their personal courage.

I like the plot of this romance. Where did you get your inspiration for this story?

SWEET WATER was definitely inspired by location. Since it’s part of the Destination Billionaires Romance Series, I needed some intriguing settings and locales. I had plotted a women’s fiction novel out during a family visit to the Oregon coast, which I absolutely fell in love with. I decided to use that outline for this novella. I also was inspired by some amazing women whose stories added adventure and substance to the book.

Hudson refers to the AMAR foundation on page eight of the book. A dear friend introduced me to the chairwoman of AMAR, Baroness Nicholson of Winterbourne, while assisting at a reception in her honor near Washington D.C.  AMAR provides health care and education to families living in war zones or in areas of civil disorder and disruption.

The nuns and orphans being attacked by rebels in SWEET WATER are based on an actual convent in The Ivory Coast of Africa. Another friend, Dr. Melei Lath, introduced me to her sister, Mother Eugenie, the Mother Superior of The Fraternité Monastique Des Soeurs de Jesus-Euchariste. These brave nuns support themselves and use their earnings to protect and educate orphans left alone as a result of disease and war. I hope readers will consider donating to these women’s work. Every dollar helps.

What kind of research did you do?

I was incredibly impacted by Baroness Nicholson and her work with AMAR, and I drew upon her presentation in D.C. as I wrote SWEET WATER. Additionally, I spent time with Dr. Melei Lath and Sister Eugenie to understand the people, the orphans, and the political and social climates in the Ivory Coast. Geography and more research was done online.

I had quite a good time conducting my banking research—learning about safety deposit boxes and how to set up a Swiss bank Account. (As if. . .)

The best research was aided by my son and his family in Oregon, who took me to every coastal location in the book, including the very romantic cave scene.

Tell me about one of the main characters and what you love about him or her?

Readers LOVE Hudson, empathize with Olivia, and want to rip Jeff’s heart out. Hudson is the perfect man—handsome in a way that is not overt, gentle, self-effacing, unaffected by his wealth and power, very family-oriented, and willing to sacrifice for his principles. Olivia begins the book in dire straits, with a chip on her shoulder and a vendetta. Her growth curve is heart-warming. Readers cheer for her. I love all of them, and readers generally come to forgive even the seemingly dastardly Jeff by the book’s end.

Where is your website and blog so my readers can check out your recent and past books that you have written?

Thanks for allowing me to meet your readers and to introduce them to SWEET WATER. I’d love to hear back if they read my books and want to share their experiences.




Thank you, Laurie, for this interview. I hope my readers check out your book.

6 comments:

Melanie Backus said...

I would love to read Sweet Water. Thank you for a great review. mauback55 at gmail dot com

Laurie LC Lewis said...

Thank you, Linda, for always being such a gracious and generous host! Love your new trailer!

For readers who love an emotional roller coaster ride, they might enjoy knowing that my July 2016 release, "The Dragons of Alsace Farm," which was a three-award winner, including a Whitney Finalist, is on sale for $.99 at http://bit.ly/LLTDOAF.

Thanks again for showcasing "Sweet Water" today. I look forward to seeing who wins the autographed book!

laurie

Emily M said...

I read this via Kindle Unlimited, but I would love to win my very own copy!! emfawcett5@gmail.com

Sonja said...

This sounds wonderful. I really enjoy Covenant and the books they publish. I know Sweet Water would be a real treat for me.
sonja dot nishimoto at gmail dot com

Linda Kish said...

This looks like a really good story. I would enjoy reading it.

lkish77123 at gmail dot com

Mahina Honu said...

Nice blog ppost