Monday, March 6, 2017

Interview with Inspirational Romance Author Gail Pallotta


Award-winning author Gail Pallotta’s a wife, mom, swimmer and bargain shopper who loves God, beach sunsets and getting together with friends and family. A former regional writer of the year for American Christian Writers Association, she won Clash of the Titles in 2010. Her teen book, Stopped Cold, was a best-seller on All Romance eBooks, finished fourth in the Preditors and Editors readers’ poll, and was a finalist for the 2013 Grace Awards. She’s published five books, poems, short stories and two-hundred articles. Some of her articles appear in anthologies while two are in museums. Gail loves to hear from readers. To learn more about her books, visit her website at http://www.gailpallotta.com

Welcome to my blog, Gail. You enjoy writing young adult suspense and inspirational romance. What inspires you to write these stories? In other words, where do you get your ideas?

From things I see and hear. Often, I see an event or hear a conversation and think that would make a good story. If it’s a subject that nags me, I end up writing a blog, short story, article or book about it.

Stopped Cold nagged me for years. As a young adult I knew several people whose goals were to be the best rather than do their best. Then after I married and had a child, I saw quite a few children with the drive to always be number one. Later, I met three young adults who suffered devastating consequences because they couldn’t cope with not being the best. I’m not sure if this crossed my path more than that of others, but I kept thinking that God doesn’t ask us to be the best, but to use our gifts to the best of our abilities. Romans 12: 6, tell us “We have different gifts.” Finally, I put that on paper. I wanted to write an entertaining book with hope. I’d always loved mysteries, so I turned Stopped Cold into a sports mystery with a touch of first-love romance.

Mountain of Love and Danger is the fifth book in the Fairwilde Fairy Tale Series. One of my friends suggested five of us write the novellas. I selected Jack and the Beanstalk because I thought the story lent itself to a romance with mystery, and I love reading and writing who-done-its. All of the novellas, including Mountain of Love and Danger, are Christian versions. I chose “With God All Things Are Possible” as my theme, since the hero had what appeared an impossible task. The other stories are Red and the Wolf (Little Red Riding Hood) by June Foster; At the Edge of a Dark Forest (Beauty and the Beast) by Connie Almony; Mirror on the Fall (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) by Mildred Colvin; and Swept Away (Cinderella) by Vanessa Riley.

Please give us a description of Stopped Cold.

Flirting, swimming, friendships—it all changes when Margaret’s brother, Sean, suffers a stroke from taking a steroid. He’s unconscious in the hospital, and Margaret’s angry at Dad for pushing him to be a great quarterback. However, hatred burns inside her to make the criminals pay. She and her friends, Jimmy and Emily, explore a drug-filled, sub-culture to find them. While Margaret yearns to cure Sean and heal the hate, she sees Jimmy in a new light.

Excerpts from Five-Star Reviews:

 “The story and the characters grab you from the get go and keep you reading more to find out what happens next. Romance, mystery, love of family, teen drama, drug abuse, peer pressure...” Patrick

“…follow Margaret’s journey to discover the depth of true character and faith not only in school and friends, but family.” Author and Book Reviewer Lisa Lickel.

“They…” (the characters) “..are as finely tuned as a lovely stringed instrument, each having a different song to play in the story.” Book Reviewer Barbara Shelton
Now tell us about Mountain of Love and Danger.

Jack Greenthumb finds romance in Fairwilde Kingdom—a different day—a different girl. Then a cruel mystery begins. Dad’s beaten, the family farm destroyed and Jack’s true love, Gwenie, kidnapped. Jack must not only save the estate, but also scale a treacherous mountain, rescue Gwenie from the huge man holding her captive and bring her to safety.

Excerpts from Five-Star Reviews:

“...Fantasy? Sure, and we need that in our world today. Suspense? You betcha! Romance? Yep, it is in there too. Adventure? Oh my, yes! Throw in some Christian inspiration, and you have a wonderful read.” Lewis

“...a moving tale of prevailing love concerning Jack Greenthumb and Gwenie. Jack wonders who kidnapped Gwenie. He is resolute to find her as well as rescue the family business. Laden with Christian values this tale repeats the old folk-tale Jack and the Beanstalk. It emphases faith, forgiveness, commitment, the high standard of friendship and loyalty. It was a wonderful and refreshing read.” VMLM

This is a story filled with danger, sweet romance and faith... (It) kept me reading and wondering what was going to happen next.” Larry Hammersley

Did you have to do much research for these books?

Yes, for Stopped Cold I used the library and internet and interviewed a narcotics agent and an undercover policeman. Since I wrote the book, Winstrol V, the drug sold to Sean illegally has been approved for human consumption. However, a person must meet stringent requirements and have a doctor’s prescription to obtain it legally. Even though my daughter was a U.S. Swimmer and a swim team coach, I consulted with a U.S. Swim Team Coach and a county parks and recreation administrator for the swimming scenes.

Even though Mountain of Love and Danger is a fantasy, it also required research for a scene where Jack enters a prison to gain information about the huge man holding his true love captive. Also, I researched mountain climbing and the equipment needed online. I’m fortunate to know a young man who scales mountains and rock precipices. He supplied and verified information for the mountain climbing scene.

Who is one of your favorite characters in these books and what do you love about him or her?

Margaret in Stopped Cold has such a strong love for her brother and her family and a passion for seeing the criminals brought to justice. I also love that she never stops asking God for help, even though she’s upset about her brother’s stroke and struggling to maintain normalcy in her life.

Jack in Mountain of Love and Danger. I love watching him grow from a young man about town to a responsible adult in a short period of time. I’m proud of the way he realizes how deep his love is for Gwenie. He takes on the responsibility for rescuing her as well as helping his parents save the farm.

Where is your website so my readers can check out your recent and past books that you have written?


I’d like to invite readers to sign up for my new newsletter while visiting my site. I’ll send it on special occasions and for new releases.

Thank you for this interview, Gail. Below is my review of one of your books.

Mountain of Love and Danger is a modern day fairytale of Jack and the Beanstalk, with cell phones and all. And yes! There is definitely a giant beanstalk, which Jack climbs. This beanstalk does not reach into the heavens as the fairy tale. It reaches to the top of a tall rocky dangerous cliff. There is no other way to get to the top, other than the beanstalk or by helicopter. What is at the top of the cliff? A shack where the giant resides! Why does Jack want to climb the beanstalk? To save his beloved, whom the giant has captured. There would be no other reason to put his life in danger but to save someone he dearly loves.

This story is fast paced and delightful. From chapter one to the last chapter there is plenty of suspense as you watch Jack try to figure out where his girlfriend has been taken. This story was written for young adults to appreciate. As an adult, I totally enjoyed it
.” --Review by Author Linda Weaver Clarke

11 comments:

Louise Pledge said...

I'm, especially, interested in "The Mountain of Danger". They both sound great, but I'll tell you why this one intrigues me a little more. I have, actually, read one of them in this series (Connie Almony) and didn't even realize it WAS a series! I am such a fan of reconstructed fairy tales! And they're just about the only type of books I can get some of my granddaughters to read. 😄 Of course, now I do want to read the others!

Gail Pallotta said...

Hi Louise,

I'm glad to hear from someone who enjoys re-told fairy tales and is familiar with our Fairwilde Series. What fun! This would be a good one to share with your granddaughters too.

Thanks for stopping by.

Linda Moffitt said...

This looks like a really good book. Thanks for sharing the interview and review with us.

Linda Moffitt said...

iamabho (at) gmail (dot) com

Edye Nicole said...

These both look amazing! I love the covers =)

mia2009(at)comcast(dot)net

Gail Pallotta said...


Hi Linda,

Thank you for coming by to read about the books.

Blessings to you,
Gail

Gail Pallotta said...


Hi Edye,

Thank you for stopping by and for the kind words. Both the covers reflect scenes in the books, and I like them too. I'm fortunate to have had such wonderful cover artists.

Blessings,
Gail

Sonja said...

I'm a fan of Gail's and would love to read anything of hers!!

Gail Pallotta said...


Hi Sonja,

How nice of you to say!

Blessings,
Gail

Shirley said...

Thank you both for taking the time for the interview and the giveaway.
I like Gail's books. I have not read either of these books but would enjoy either one.
Shirley
straitfromthehive(at)gmail(dot)com

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

Congratulations to Edye Nicole! I hope you enjoy these stories. I know I did when I read them.