Monday, December 16, 2013

Interview with Children’s Author Sherry Frith

Sherry Frith is a simple person who enjoys simple things in life. She has many writings that she is working on, but has published this one book. She is the mother to 3 handsome boys, Kyle, Kevin, and Kory. When her time is not consumed with her boys, she enjoys the company of delicious food and intriguing conversation.


Hello, Sherry. I didn’t know what cystic fibrosis was until I read your book. I learned something new. Please tell my friends about this children’s story.

Sticky Icky Booger Bugs is the story of a young boy who has inherited this disease that has currently no cure. However, by doing his daily medical routine Kory reduces his chances of hospital stays and improving his quality of life. Cystic Fibrosis causes all the mucus in the body to be thicker. The result is repeated infections within the respiratory system and digestive complications.

Where did you get your inspiration for this book?

My sons Kory and Kevin inspire my writing. Children have a wonderful innocence; their questions and answers can bring tears of laughter or sorrow to a conversation. When Kory was diagnosed 6 years ago with cystic fibrosis doctors explained cystic fibrosis to Kory in medical terms. However, as we walked out of the building Kory asked “What does this mean for me?” I told him that he had sticky boogers that wanted to stay in him and we had to get them out. When the medical equipment arrived to help improve Kory’s quality of life we gave them all names so he could understand them and not be so overwhelmed. My heart broke knowing the challenges he would be facing with this incurable disease and felt the need to convey them in terms that he could relate to.

My heart goes out to you and your sons. What kind of research did you have to do for this book?

First hand research, I have lived each day battling this disease with Kevin and Kory. This book is a brief synopsis of what Kory does on a daily basis. I have done hours of reading and Internet searches for this disease.

What age group would enjoy this story most?

This is a book for young readers, the age is 1 year to 7 years of age. The beautiful crayon illustrations add so much to the story.

What do you hope your readers will learn from this book?

I want readers to feel empathy. You never know what is happening in a person’s life. My theory is that just when I feel my life is rough, someone has it rougher. I hear their story and stop the poor me woes and appreciate another day of life.

You are absolutely right. My daughter recently found out that her 3-year-old son has a heart disease, marfan syndrome, and will have to have heart medication for the rest of his life. Our hearts went out to the family but we are grateful that something can be done so he can live a long and happy life.

6 comments:

Sonja said...

It is good to learn about these things. So many things we experience in life go undiagnosed and are so hard to live with.

Sonja said...

Forgot my email: Sonja.nishimoto at gmail dot com

LAWonder said...

I love learning! I was not aware of tis health issue.
I think it would be a marvelous addition to the children book section of my Book review blog.
Thank you both. this has been very enlightening.

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

Congratulations, Sonja. You are the winner of this children's book. I hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

This book sounds great. I believe many people will learn about this illness by reading this book to their children. Congratulations on your new book!

Kelsey McBride said...

This is a great interview! Thanks for sharing.