Monday, May 18, 2015

Interview with Children’s Author Louie Lawent


Louie Lawent is the author of the picture book "Gerty The Pig" which is in schools across the United States. The book is part of the National Accelerated Readers Program. He is also a lyricist with his works featured on rock, country and children's releases. Louie co-wrote 10 children's songs with Steve Goodie which are featured on Steve's "Refrigerator Art" CD. Also, he co-wrote "Worms In The Can, Wieners On The Bun" on Canadian children's recording artist Erick Traplin's CD "A Little More." Louie is an avid Green Bay Packers fan and enjoys table tennis.

Welcome to my blog, Louie. Please tell us about your children’s book: Momma Don't You Worry.

The tale is told through the voice of a boy who's almost 6 years old and wants his independence. He feels like he's too old to have to hold on to his mom's hand when they're out and about. When he breaks away from his mom in a shopping mall, he gets lost. Then he must decide what to do.

I read this book and it’s so cute. Its only 9 pages and done in rhyme. Here is an example to whet your “reading appetite.”

When we’re crossing busy streets
My mom always insists
“Put your little hand in mine”
“MOM, I’M WAY TOO OLD FOR THIS!”

She watches me with eagle eyes
Like I’m a treasured jewel
She cramps my style, oh man alive
“MOM, THIS JUST AIN’T COOL”

The author writes “Thank God” in this rhyme and I figured the boy was actually thanking God for helping him to find his mother when he was lost. Where did you get your inspiration for this book, Louie? From life experiences?

I came up with this idea quite a while ago. I can't pinpoint how it came to be, but yes, I do get many ideas from life experiences, whether it be from something a friend says, or something that someone I know does. For instance, one day I was in a post office and 2 kids were sitting side by side - a boy and a girl - probably 4 to 6 years old. The girl said something to the younger boy and I thought "that would be a great title for a children's song" and I then wrote a lyric. One of my grandmas was a packrat. I wrote a lyric entitled "A Packrat's Mind" that eventually became a song I co-wrote with Wayne Hamilton who sings it. He reformed it and added to it and it's a real catchy folk song.

Please tell us about the main character in this story and what you love about him.

I love that the little boy wants to assert his independence, but at the same time recognizes that he has to do it on the sly because he knows he will be in trouble if all goes wrong.

Now it’s time to tell us something about the real you that we’ll never forget.

Well, when I was in kindergarten, apparently I scrambled across the street when school let out. The kindergarten teacher wrote on my report card something like this, "You should talk to Louis about crossing streets. He's had a couple of narrow escapes."

Thank you, Louie, for this interview. Louie’s children’s book, Momma Don't You Worry, is only $1.29. There is no book giveaway for this interview but you can purchase it at Amazon.


3 comments:

Laurean Brooks said...

Louie, what a great idea for a Childrens' book I think many children could learn a lesson from it.

I enjoyed the interview with Linda Weaver and learning about you. Keep up the good work.

Children need good books to read or be read to them. This gives them an interest in reading.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lauren- if you do read the book and like it, I'd appreciate it if you'd spread the word to your friends.

Shirley said...

Thank you both for the interview. A wonderful introduction to a new author to me and a delightful sounding book.