Monday, July 11, 2016

Interview with Science Fiction & Romance Author Larry Hammersley

Larry is 78, married to Sue for 53 years, has two children and six grandchildren. He has published one romance novel and two science fiction novels along with a number of short romance stories. He is active in the local church, enjoys amateur radio, jogging, astronomy and some woodworking. He has a BS degree in chemistry from Purdue University and an MS degree in chemistry from Indiana University.

Welcome back to my blog, Larry. Please tell us about your new science fiction book, The Silver Dart.

Thank you for having me again. The Silver Dart is a high tech spaceship built by Jade Cromwell’s genius wife, Darla. She willingly went with aliens two years prior to the beginning of the story. Living on Mars, Jade, Missy, their daughter, and Spike, their Australian Sheep Dog lose a fight against seven aliens who abduct Missy, also a genius. Jade and Spike take the Silver Dart and hunt for Missy and Darla. They must leave our Milky Way Galaxy and span the space to a distant galaxy. Along the way Jade and Spike encounter other aliens, some militant and some who help and need help themselves. They learn why the aliens took Darla and Missy.

Where did you get your inspiration for this story?

My love for astronomy and the love for our dear deceased dog, Roscoe who is Spike in the story, have inspired this story. I admit the model from istockphoto.com sparked me to create a strong heroine. I had a hand in the cover by providing the blond and the dog.

This book has plenty of action. It’s different than your others. I know you as a romance writer. You’ve now stemmed off to science fiction. What intrigued you to try a new genre?

Actually, science fiction is not a new genre for me. It came along over forty years ago when I kept submitting short science fiction stories to magazines. I never gained acceptance from the SF magazines. It is an extremely difficult market to break into but I’m still trying. Most all my SF stories have clean romance and lots of action.

Tell me about one of the main characters and what you love about him or her?

How about four characters? Jade is a tough but family oriented man, fights for his loved ones and gains loving attention of alien women. Darla and Missy are pure geniuses, skilled in fighting ability and risk their lives for family. Spike is a beloved dog who will do anything for family and fights to protect them no matter the odds.

Where can my readers find you online?

Email address is lhammersley@comcast.net

Thank you for a wonderful interview, Larry. I hope my readers check out your new book.

15 comments:

clenna said...

I'd love to read this book. I love astronomy and sci-fi stories.

Larry Hammersley said...

Clenna: Thanks for dropping by. I enjoyed writing this story. The dog on the cover is our dear departed pet, Roscoe but in the novel he is Spike. The blond model came from istockphoto.com and appears on one of my short romance stories at Smashwords too.

Laurean Brooks said...

Linda, Thank you for interviewing Larry. I've read several of his stories/books and loved them all. I've said before that Larry has a gift for describing a scene to make you feel as if you are there.

I enjoy his sweet romance stories, but I feel Larry's Science Fiction stories have that extra oomph of excitement. They are real to the reader, and who doesn't want to venture to Mars and explore it?

I'm sure everyone who reads "Silver Dart" will feel as if they've journeyed to Mars.

landtbeth@yahoo.com (I'll take a print since I've no e-reader.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry,

It's neat that you can now add SF to your writing belt. Do you have any others forthcoming?

As Laurean Brooks stated, Larry does a fantastic job of writing sweet romance. Not many men want to stay within limits like Larry does, but I appreciate Larry's faithfulness. That's what lets me know that I can trust his stories.

So glad to see this one out and "flying around" Larry. Great cover too!

Gail Pallotta said...

Hi Linda and Larry,

Thanks for the great interview. I've read the Silver Dart and some of Larry's other science fiction novels. I've enjoyed them immensely and recommend them for their action and taking readers to another world. They're heartfelt stories too.

Larry Hammersley said...

Hi Laurie, Miss Mae and Gail: Thanks to all of you for checking in on my interview. Your remarks are very kind and uplifting. Laurie, I'll put you in for print preference if you are the lucky one. Miss Mae, I don't have a science fiction novel forthcoming but I do have two romance novels submitted to two different publishers but I've not received a response. These two novels have been in my hands for some time and I believe in them. Gail thank you again for reading my SF novel and giving a nice review.

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

Hi Larry,
I'm happy to see you're still writing and publishing. I haven't read your sci-fi, but it sounds just like sci-fi should: adventurous and galactic! All the best with this book and your future ones!

Larry Hammersley said...

Hi Linore: Thank you for your nice comments and well wishes. Yes there is adventure and also romance as a man and wife are reunited after a lot of happenings. My most recent book was self published and was a Bible character, The Shunammite Woman, partly fiction and partly non fiction from the Old Testament.

Diane Craver said...

Great interview, Larry and Linda! Your science fiction novel, The Silver Dart, sounds exciting and a fun read! I hope, Larry, that you have lots of sales for it.

Larry Hammersley said...

Hi Diane: Thanks for the well wishes on my SF novel. I've sold several copies locally to friends from school, running friends and a radio friend. Good luck on the drawing, one print and one ebook version are up for grabs.

Diane Craver said...

Larry,
Do you think your radio friend could interview you? I was interviewed twice for radio station in my hometown and once for another state. Both times they taped it ahead and then broadcasted the interviews. I don't think I got much of a bump in sales but it was fun. You don't need to draw my name. I'll be happy to buy your book! I enjoyed A Change of Heart and think this science fiction book sounds great.

Larry Hammersley said...

Diane: My radio friend isn't in commercial radio. He is a friend of an amateur radio friend. That is an interesting possibility with the local radio station in Bedford, IN about six miles away. I'm not sure I can interest them in an interview. I only know one person out there and not very well.
Are you sure you don't want in the drawing? Our internet connection here has been terrible and there is a technician coming out on Saturday. I appreciate your support. I just ordered four more copies of The Silver Dart and am not getting author discount like before. That drives my price up from eight dollars to twelve unfortunately. The print copy is $9.95 from Amazon and you can get free shipping if you order books amounting to over $25, something you probably already know. Unless I hear otherwise I'll not include you in the drawing.

jean602 said...

This sounds interesting and exciting. Haven't read any of your books yet but I'm going to check them out.

Larry Hammersley said...

Thanks for coming by Jean602. You will be entered in the drawing as the interview ended yesterday. My books can be found on Amazon by typing in my name. I hope you find them interesting:romance, science fiction (which has romance) and my short stories. My romance is clean.

Linda Weaver Clarke said...

Congratulations to Jean and Clenna. You are the winners of this wonderful story. I know you'll enjoy it.